Katarina and the Nofo Area Tour

» Stockholm » Stockholm » Stockholm

From $25.18

Price varies by group size

Lowest Price Guarantee

Pricing Info: Per Person

Duration: 1 hours

Departs: Stockholm, Stockholm

Ticket Type: Mobile or paper ticket accepted

Free cancellation

Up to 24 hours in advance.

Learn more


Katarina and the Nofo area is one of the oldest quarter at popular Södermalm. Come and listen to the fascinating story of how the violent fires ravaged the church both in 1723 and in 1990. Three wooden townhouses on the south side of Mäster Mikaels gata were built after the fire. Understand the life of the poor people living in the area in the 17th and 18th century. This is also the location for the "great noise" where women were pointed out as witches and sorcerers came to Katarinaberget on Södermalm in 1675.
Nine women were executed, but in 1676 a special court in Stockholm stopped all accusations, and instead sentenced those who pointed out innocent people as witches.

What's Included

An authorized Stockholm guide for 90 minutes

What's Not Included

No entrance or transport included.

Traveler Information

  • INFANT: Age: 0 - 5
  • CHILD: Age: 6 - 15
  • ADULT: Age: 16 - 64
  • SENIOR: Age: 65 - 99

Additional Info

  • Infants and small children can ride in a pram or stroller
  • Public transportation options are available nearby
  • Södermalm offers a lot of stairs.
  • Wheelchair accessible
  • Covid-19 is no longer a pandemic disease in Sweden.
  • Not recommended for travelers with spinal injuries
  • Service animals allowed
  • Travelers should have at least a moderate level of physical fitness

Cancellation Policy

What To Expect

On Petrus Tillaeus' map from 1733, the alley is mentioned as Lilla Maria gr. Previously, the alley together with Peter Myndes hill led to Maria Magdalena church and it is the church that gave the alley its name. Previous names included Sanktæ Martæ Gränd (1648) and S: t Martæ gatun (1662).

5 minutes • Admission Ticket Free

The name has been used since 1648 (Kleeff hamlet and Kleffweg alley). The name comes from "stepped" which means steep hill or steep road up a mountain. Since the 1690s, the alley was also called Ormsaltare alley, also on Petrus Tillaeus map from 1733 this name is stated. In an advertisement in Dagligt Allehanda in 1777, both names Ormsaltare- or Klewegränden appear. Snake salters have received various suggestions for interpretation. In Swedish dialects, snake salters have the meaning "cunning man". According to Björn Hasselblad (Stockholmskvarter), the name derives from a German man named Alexander Ormesälter, who during the latter part of the 17th century owned a house in the area.

5 minutes • Admission Ticket Free

The park is located on Katarinaberget's southern rock wall down towards Katarinavägen. It is designed as a terrace system with several "rooms" and is named after the Katarina tunnel. It was a projected tunnel for road traffic that was never built (not to be confused with the Katarina tunnel for rail traffic). Next to Tunnelbacken are Harald Lindberg's stairs and under the park, the car park Slussen has its entrances and exits. Sofas are placed in several places. At Klevgränd's turning area there is an open, more square-like vantage point.

It is included as a renovation object in the City of Stockholm's list of parks that are in need of refurbishment from 2009. The proposal is, among other things, to improve the lighting and sanitation and make a general overhaul of the facility.

• Admission Ticket Free

Mosebacke Torg
Mosebacke square is a square on Södermalm in Stockholm's inner city, located on Katarinaberget, in the eastern part of what is usually called Söder's heights, one block from Götgatan. The square and the surrounding Mosebacke district were created after the Mosebacke area was hit by an extensive fire in 1857, when many properties there burned to the ground. Parts of the well area were allowed to form a new square, Mosebacke square.

10 minutes • Admission Ticket Free

Katarina Kyrka
The street leads through the culturally and historically valuable buildings on Katarinaberget in a north-south direction and crosses Fiskargatan and Roddargatan. The street is very hilly and the northernmost part down to Glasbruksgatan is designed as a staircase. The southern part also ends with a staircase leading down to Högbergsgatan by Katarina church. At the beginning of the street at Glasbruksgatan is the Drottningen block with a mixture of older buildings and new additions designed by architect Bengt Lindroos, who was awarded the 1986 Kasper Salin Prize for the block.

• Admission Ticket Free

Master Mikaels Gata
When Renstiernas gata was blasted down into a deep ditch at the beginning of the 20th century, the then Fjällgatan was divided as well as Stigbergsgatan. The eastern part retained its name Fjällgatan in 1939, while the western part was named Mäster Mikaels gata. This Mikael was Stockholm's executioner Mikael Reissuer, who practiced his craft in the years 1635–1650 at the nearby gallows on Stigberget (see Galgberget, Södermalm). He himself lived in the district Mäster Mikael, which is located next to Mäster Mikaels gata 4-6. "Master" was a common title for the executioner. In 1650, Mikael Reissuer himself was convicted of murder and executed.

In connection with the Katarina fire in 1723, all the houses in the vicinity of the street were destroyed, all the way down to the shipyard at Tegelviken. Despite the subsequent ban on the construction of wooden houses, the houses that line Mäster Mikaels gata were built of wood. They were completed in 1729.

10 minutes • Admission Ticket Free


« All Activities

Stockholm activities and shore excursions by group:

© Copyright 1995 - 2023 Stockholm Travel Guide